What do you need?
- Butter cake baking tin
- 200 grams of butter
- 1 egg
Do it yourself Boterkoek on the Barbecue
Preparation 1: With preparation in the oven (the safest way).
Preparation 2: Completely on the barbecue (for the BBQ Master). Requires a little more patience and skill. The taste will be even more surprising.
1. With preparation in the oven:
It is easiest to prepare the butter cake a day before you start barbecuing, but at least 6 hours in advance.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Break the egg into a bowl and beat it with a fork.
3. Cut the butter into cubes.
4. Put the butter, half of the egg (save the rest to use as an eggwash) and the BarbeKoek baking mix in a mixing bowl and mix to a nice dough.
5. Put the dough in the baking tin and flatten with wet hands. Spread it well and press a little.
6. Brush the dough with the remaining beaten egg. Use a fork to make a nice pattern in the dough. For example diamond shapes, but feel free to live it up.
7. Bake the butter cake for about 30-35 minutes until it has turned golden brown.
8. Let the butter cake cool down well. Minimum 6 hours.
Now we are going to make it into a BarbeKoek:
Use a barbecue with a lid. By the end of the barbecue evening, your barbecue is usually still hot. Now put the butter cake in baking tin on the BBQ. It needs about 15 minutes to get nice and warm and to get a light smoky taste. Put it on the table and cut it into cubes so that everyone can enjoy the BarbeKoek. I bet you it's finished in minutes :)
2. Completely on the Barbecue:
Step 2 to step 6 are exactly the same as in the first preparation method.
Baking on the barbecue:
Use a barbecue with a lid. Make sure your barbecue has a temperature of about 180 degrees. Place the BarbeKoek on the barbecue. Close the lid. The baking time is about 30-45 minutes, but controlling the temperature on a barbecue is sometimes a bit more difficult. Therefore, also check the color of the cake. When it's nice and golden brown, it's ready.
Let the cake cool down in the baking tin on a wire rack for at least another half hour. Put it on the table and cut it into cubes so that everyone can enjoy the BarbeKoek. I bet you it's finished in minutes :)