Cornbread recipe for the BBQ.
We are already getting into the barbecue zone at dapeppa. For example, we recently made a recipe for Cornbread on the Barbecue.
What Is Cornbread Anyway?
In the Netherlands we do not know Cornbread very well and that is a pity because it is easy to make and combines well with many dishes. It is a popular dish in the southern states of the US, especially during barbecues and parties. It is a yellow bread made from corn flour and has an airy grainy structure.
Cornbread combines well with:
- Barbecue dishes. It is a sweet contrast to meat dishes such as ribs, pulled pork and chicken. The bread also absorbs the gravy and sauce nicely.
- Chili. Serve a slice of cornbread alongside a bowl of spicy chili.
- Soups and Stews: Cornbread is a great addition to all kinds of soups and stews. Whether it's a creamy corn soup, bean soup or a rich stew.
- Grilled Vegetables: Combine grilled vegetables like peppers, zucchini and onion with cornbread for a tasty vegetarian meal. The sweet and savory taste of the cornbread goes well with the grilled vegetables.
- Breakfast: Cornbread can also be eaten for breakfast. It is therefore somewhat similar to Scones. Serve it with butter and jam, honey or syrup for a sweet treat. Maybe a bit heavy but you can combine it with scrambled eggs, bacon or sausages for a savory breakfast.
What do you need?
A BBQ with lid
Baking mold. A Skillet is ideal, but a round baking pan or muffin tin also work well.
Shopping list (ingredients):
70 grams of wheat flour
100 grams of cornmeal
225 ml full-fat yogurt
110 ml (sunflower) oil
50 grams of sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Make sure your BBQ is around 170 degrees. We are going to bake indirectly so use a barbecue stone (setter) and a grid.
Take a large bowl and mix the cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center.
Beat the eggs until fluffy and mix them with the yogurt and oil. Add this mixture to the mixing bowl. Stir this with a spoon to a firm batter.
Grease the baking tin of about 20-25 cm in diameter with butter and sprinkle a little flour in it. Tip the batter into the baking tin and spread evenly.
Now place the baking tin on the barbecue for about 20 - 25 minutes until the cornbread is cooked and golden brown. You can check this by pricking it with a skewer. If it comes out dry, the cornbread is ready.
Let it cool for about 10 minutes in the baking tin and then place it on a grid or cutting board. When it has cooled you can cut it and enjoy it.
Now that you're busy with the barbecue. Have you ever made BarbeKoek ?